Around 15 people participated in this discussion, including Lisa Williams from Placeblogger, Ben Terris from Boston.com's Your Town, Adam Weiss of Boston Behind the Scenes, Persephone Miel from Internews Network, and Doc Searls from Harvard's Berkman Center. You can hear the conversation here:
The conversation covers a wide range of topics, including:
- Trends and directions of hyperlocal news. Where the emerging opportunities might be.
- What the user demand might be around hyperlocal news - where the current gaps are in addressing user needs.
- The rising importance of immediacy and speed of hyperlocal solution deployment
- The problem of scale and searchability around hyperlocal sites
- How hyperlocal sites and the online-offline proximity connection might address the human need for social cohesion